A social scientist with a touch of technology
I'm a Finnish social scientist interested in new media. My interests include online participation, e-politics, social services and mobile systems. In all of these, I prefer approaching the thing from softer, non-technical side, even while I have a background in fast and ugly prototyping and coding too.
My background is in political science, which I studied at the University of Helsinki and computer science, which I've learned at Nokia Corporation and go deeper at the University of Helsinki. Currently I'm working at Helsinki Institute for Information Technology and studying towards PhD in computer science.
My days pass while I sitting next to my computer and think really hard. Things I do vary from programming, data-analysis, writing, teaching and other stuff like that. My current interests are
- co-located computing
- computational social science
- civic technologies
IRC: matnel @ ircnet
- No Nokia Foundation scholarship for me :( (2016-12-06)
- I'll attend conference and present posterin on current work on 'Infrastructures of Publics - Publics of Infrastructures', including a poster on Otakantaa.fi research (2016-12-08)
- Rajapinta, a research network for ICT and social sciences (I'm a cofounder), recieved 20k funding from Kone Foundation. (2016-12-08)
- I'll teach a course on Simulation models (2017-02-20)
- I participate European Big Data Hackathon as part of the Statistics Finland team (2017-03-13)
- I'll co-teach a course "Network analysis" with Arho Toikka (2017-04-20)